Monday, April 13, 2009

A bad day after my Paris flight

11th April 2009, approximately 1315 when the aircraft arrived at the HKIA, when I was there at the baggage carousel to collect my check-in suitcase, I didn't see mine. What a shock when all the crew got theirs and left, I was the only one waiting.

That was so abnormal as usually the airport staff will get the cabin crew's suitcase and place it together without letting the crew to wait and get it themselves. I walked around the baggage carousel 2 times to check if the airport staff has missed mine, but I couldn't find my suitcase. Then I immediately asked one of the staff who passed by and told him what was going on, he then informed me to report the case to the Cathay Pacific Baggage Claim Counter which is only few carousels further away.

I reported to one of the staff at the counter Henry Lau, who was very helpful to get all the information of my suitcase and then printed out a piece of paper with the file reference number and the contact number which I can call to check from time to time. He asked me to go back first and they will call me if they have news about my suitcase. That was really a bad day, as I have never expected that this will ever happen especially to a crew member who has the top priority on the baggage handling.

At the same time I've prepared for the worse that somebody might has mistakenly took mine and left. Luckily I didn't keep any important documents nor any cash in my suitcase otherwise it's gonna give me a lot of troubles.
Items in my suitcase:
Winter clothes - 2pcs
Long sleeves t-shirt - 2pcs
Jeans - 1pc
Singlets - 2pcs
Shorts - 1pc
Uniform shirt - 1pc
CK underwear - 4pcs
Socks - 6pairs
Scarf - 2pcs
Backpack - 1pc
Hiking Shoe - 1pair (newly bought in Paris)
Toiletries - 1 big bag
Umbrella - 1pc
Although there's nothing valuables inside, but losing all those, I will feel the pain and definitely not able to sleep well at night. And fortunately I am not the brand-conscious person, if I am, I would have bought LV, Gucci or Prada in Paris and lost all of them in a day. Hahaha!!! =)

I was so worry and I told my family and some friends about the incidents, at least give away my negative feelings before accumulating it more and more. The next day morning and I received a call from Gloria, another Malaysian flight attendant telling me she lost her suitcase as well coming back from Brisbane, she read my message in facebook and knew I lost mine too. But I told her that I am still waiting and hoping for the best, she's really pissed off and couldn't believe that this will happen, her full set of makeup were in her suitcase.

Well, what else can we do at that moment beside waiting. After a night rest and I managed to calm down myself and console her. I told her: "Let's pray for each other"
She's lucky that later in the evening and she's received call from the airport staff informing her that her suitcase was on the way coming back to Hong Kong from Brisbane and it will be sent to her at night, she SMS me and I was happy for her but at the same time still worrying about my own suitcase .....

I called Patrick and email Ann, both my instructor and PDE informing them about my incidents, I seeked advice from them that what else I can do and what I should do incase they lost my suitcase. As in another few more days I have another long haul flight to London and I need the suitcase to operate the flight.

Just right before I went out for jogging as usual, my phone rang and it was from the baggage claim department. Finally .... finally ..... finally they called me and it was a good news. My suitcase wasn't being loaded into the aircraft and being left in Paris but he told me that my suitcase was on the way back to Hong Kong and they will send it to my doorstep at night. Thank god that everything was back to normal ....

That was really a frightening experience and I have received my suitcase at 2000, having back my suitcase feels so good, I hugged it and said:
COME BACK TO PAPA!